This article explains how to properly set up your computer to work from home. For security reasons, Town employees are not allowed to connect personal computers to the network. The IT Department will provide you with the device you will use to connect from home.
1. Identify the type of device:
1.1 If you were given a Desktop All-In-One (AiO)
What you'll need:
- Desktop AiO.
- Power Cord.
- USB Mouse and Keyboard.
What to do:
- Connect the Power Cord into the power outlet.
- Connect the USB Mouse and Keyboard into the USB ports.
- (OPTIONAL) If you have a hardwired internet connection, plug the cable into the Ethernet port.
1.2. If you were given a Laptop, make sure you also have a charger so you don't run out of
2. Turn on your device and sign-in with your network credentials. Your username follows this format: first name initial + full last name, i.e.: rmalaver.
3. Connect your device to the internet.
One of these three icons will display on your system tray:
Connected to the Wi-Fi.
Hardwired connection with an Ethernet cable.
If you're not connected to the internet, click to open your settings. Make sure your Wi-Fi is on, and your computer will find the available wireless connections. Select your preferred Wi-Fi and connect to the internet.
4. Connect to the network. Follow this article to learn how to connect to the network using a Virtual Private Network (VPN)